Most happiest of name days to our drummer Patrick. Huzzah!
photographer Yume Cyan has been shooting some magical long exposure photographs of fireflies in a forested area around Nagoya City, Japan. By keeping the camera’s shutter open at a low aperture Cyan captures every bioluminescent flash of each insect resulting in dotted light trails that criss-cross the frame.
We never get tired of fireflies.
Looks like Fern Gully
However, the last eight months have been fraught with difficulty and tumult, and I am left questioning the ethics and values of the people that Frank and I brought on to the CBC Board of Directors. We were somewhat inexperienced and should have better selected a Board who was perhaps dedicated to the Comic Book Classroom mission and making sure that the focus and funds raised from the DCC convention indeed went to teaching kids.
That has not happened: Since the 2013 convention, it seems the teaching and literacy programs have been nonexistent; Frank Romero has resigned and I have been removed from control of the Board; there are allegedly up to $300,000 in revenues from the 2013 DCC alone, that remain unaccounted for, and some of which appear to be funneled towards high profile legal posturing.
Charlie La Greca, Co-founder, convention director, cartoonist
Comic Book Classroom/Denver Comic Con from his open letter recently posted on savedenvercomiccon.com
Creedence Clearwater Revival eating at a Taco Bell in 1968 (in SLO, CA)
Is the science fair really that bad?
I’ve seen this pic shared a few times today, originally from someone named Susan Messina on Facebook. Susan and family clearly had a bad experience with the science fair and made a little joke out of it, but it got me thinking: Is it really that bad these days?
I know classroom schedules are more crowded than ever before, with less space for the free work and experiment time that it takes to really do a science fair project well, and most importantly, to enjoy it.
The experience of doing a science fair project can be an amazing early scientific experience, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been science-fair-aged, and I want to know:
Does your school or district still have a science fair? Is it required? Is it competition-focused? Is classroom time set aside to work on projects? Is it valuable? Is it fun? Should it be improved? How?
Steve Buscemi as John Waters on his Christmas cards
THIS IS A ROCK N ROLL CHRISTMAS
- Joey Ramone- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
- Slade- Merry XMas Everybody
- The Kinks- Father Christmas
- T. Rex- Christmas Bop
- Yoko Ono- Listen, The Snow is Falling
- Big Star- Jesus Christ
- The Jacobites- Teenage Christmas
- Daniel Johnston- Rock Around The Christmas Tree
- Shonen Knife- Space Christmas
- Sonic Youth- Santa Doesn’t Cop Out On Dope
- Pixies- Winterlong
- The Jesus and Mary Chain- Birthday
- Crocodiles & Dum Dum Girls- Merry Christmas, Baby (Please Don’t Die)
- The Long Blondes- Christmas is Cancelled
- The Celebate Rifles- Merry Xmas Blues
- The Dickies- Silent Night
- Pointed Sticks- Power Pop Santa
- The Damned- There Ain’t No Sanity Clause
- Fear- Fuck Christmas
- The Yobs- Run Rudolph Run
- Reigning Sound- If Christmas Can’t Bring You Home
- Black Lips- Christmas In Baghdad
- The Sonics- Don’t Believe In Christmas
- The Youngsters- Christmas In Jail
- The Frogs- Here Comes Santa’s Pussy
- Yo La Tengo- It’s Christmas Time
- Dolly Mixture- Winter Seems Fine
- Cocteau Twins- Winter Wonderland
- Orange Juice- Holiday Hymn
- Aztec Camera- Walk Out To Winter
- The Walkmen- Christmas Party
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs- All I Want For Christmas
- Sparks- Thank God It’s Not Christmas
- Iggy Pop- White Christmas
- Klaus Nomi- Silent Night
Merry Christmas, tumblrs
Here’s a video to accompany a song from our new free album, Robber Baron.
Listen/download: Robber Baron by Bizarre Learning Center
We made a free record. Listen if you like. We had help from our friends Nick Jones of Thrifty Astronaut and Robin Walker (who is in many local bands).